You never had a reason to fight. You never wanted to become a ninja. But your parents always expected you to become one, and you would do anything to make your parents proud. To make them happy.
But you were never strong. Even after becoming a chunin, you were always weak.
- This girl is a deception to our clan. - your father used to say.
That's why you started training every time you didn't have missions, until your exhaustion. You were always at the training field. Always. But you never grew stronger.
Then one day, you met him. He was a dark haired boy, with dark eyes and white skin. You didn't really pay attention to him.
- Can I train with you? - he asked.
- No problem. - you answered, distracted.
You trained together for hours. He was very strong, and you lost every time you fought him.
- I give up - you said, after some time. - You don't need to train with somebody weak like me.
- You're only weak because you give up and because you believe you're weak.
- What? - you raised your eyebrows.
- If you had something important to fight for, you wouldn't be so weak.
- Who do you think you are to talk with me like this?
- I'm Uchiha Itachi.
- Should I be impressed?
- I don't know. - he gave you a small smile, like you were being funny or something like this.
- And what do you fight for, Uchiha-san? - you asked him.
- For my village. - he answered.
As time passed by, you and the mysterious Itachi Uchiha became friends. You started to admire him - his dedication to Konoha, his strength, the way he was always taking care of his younger brother and the love he dedicated to him. It didn't take long for you to realize you were in love with him.
But when you told him about your feelings, he said:
- Sorry, but I don't feel the same for you. We are friends. That's what you are to me, a friend, and nothing more.
But you were not strong enough to give up. And you didn't. You loved him in silence, even if sometimes you felt depressed because of this. But you just could not give up. You loved him.
Two years passed and you noticed Itachi started to change. Now he was more quiet and serious than before, and he almost never smiled.
- Is there something wrong? - you asked him when you were at the training field.
- No, it's not.
- You know, if you have a problem you can tell me.
- I don't have any problem, (NAME).
You agreed, but you weren't so sure about it.
The next day, when you woke up, you heard the news. They were saying Itachi was a traitor. They were saying Itachi had left. You couldn't believe it.
The tears ran down your face. You walked the entire village, until you realized you were searching for him. You always believed him. He wasn't a traitor. He couldn't be.
"You're only weak when you give up. You become stronger when you have something to fight for."
And you made your decision.
"I'll find you. It doesn't matter how long it takes, I'll find you."
When the night came, you ran away.
Ran away from your village.
Ran away from your family.
Ran away from your friends.
Ran away from your life.
Because nothing of these things mattered anymore.
Not without him.